With Halloween right around the corner, it’s time decorate and celebrate the holiday. Here are some dessert items to make sure that you have the Halloween party of the year.
- 2 packages spice cake mix (regular size)
- 1 ice cream cake cone (about 3 inches tall)
- 4 cans (16 ounces each) Pillsbury Happy Birthday Funfetti Orange All Star Vanilla frosting
- 2 Oreo cookies
- 1 package (24 ounces) ready-to-use rolled black fondant
- Prepare and bake cakes according to the package directions, using two 12-cup fluted tube pans. Cool.
- Cut thin slice off bottom of each cake. Spread one cake bottom with frosting; press flat sides together to from a pumpkin shape.
- Place a ball of foil in the center of the cake to support the “stem”. Top with an ice cream cone. Frost cake with frosting.
- To decorate the face: Roll out fondant to 1/8 -in. thickness; cut into desired shapes for mouth and nose. Remove tops from two Oreo cookies; cut out half circles in filling for eyes. Press cookies and fondant onto cake to make the face. Yields: 12-16 servings.
Jack-o’-Lantern Brownies Recipe
- 3/4 cup butter, melted
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 can (16 ounces) vanilla frosting
- Orange paste food coloring
- Green and black decorating gel
- Candy corn and milk chocolate M&M’s, optional
- In a large bowl, beat butter, sugar, and vanilla until well blended. Beat in eggs. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt; gradually add to butter mixture and mix well.
- Line a greased 13 in. x 9 in. baking pan with waxed paper; grease the paper. Spread batter evenly in pan. Bake at 350° for 18-22 minutes or until brownies begin to pull away from the sides of pan. Cool on wire rack.
- Run a knife around edge of pan. Invert brownies onto a work surface and remove waxed paper. Cut brownies with a 3-in. pumpkin cookie cutter, leaving at least 1/8 in. between each shape. (Discard scraps or save for another use.)
- Tint frosting with orange food coloring; frost brownies. Use green gel to create the pumpkin stems and black gel and candy corn and M&M’s to decorate the faces if desired. Yield: about 1 dozen.